PAYMENT & REFUND POLICY:

We are dedicated to providing the best possible services to our customers. Apart from the quality of the work, we value time, so we also ensure that you get your orders in a certain period of time. We are happy to help you with your feedback and concerns about the services purchased from us. 99% of customers’ orders go through without a hiccup. You place an order, we deliver, everyone’s happy! On the slim chance, you’re one of the lucky 1% that is having trouble. Therefore we have a “refund policy”. In case if you are not happy with our services or have any concerns then use our Contact Form.

The first step is to contact our support team!

Most problems can be solved with a simple email. If you’re having trouble, just reach out, we’re here to help. Once we get a dialog going, our support team will do everything they can to ensure you’re happy. Sometimes that means issuing a refund.

In the following cases we have the rights to reject the refund requests/Cancellations:

  • Products or services bought more than once for the same URL by mistake.
  • If you change your mind to cancel your order before the service starts.
  • Once we start the work/service for clients then we won’t be able to refund.
  • If a client asks for a refund in the middle or after completion of work/service done.
  • After sending orders, if you delete your page/account or change it to private or change username, We will not refund for these cases.
  • If the client asks for a refund after receiving contents and reports of the services/work done.
  • If we miss the submission deadline due to the client’s delay/failure in providing the necessary content and information on time.
  • If you ask for a refund due to the absence of features that are not promised on service packages on our official website.
  • If you provide the wrong URL (link not working) for the service you ordered, no refund will be provided.
  • Customized Services/work are non-refundable.
  • If we find a payment dispute or charge-back from a bank or credit card company your service/work will be blocked without any notice.

Our team reserves the right to modify such price from time to time without serving a prior notice. The price or payment shall refer to the updated price of the package.

The client is advised for his/her own benefits to understand all aspects of the transactions and have an independent legal opinion before making a final decision to subscribe to the Services. We own no liability if you omit to read the TOS.

Note: Please also read the agreement before ordering.

Let's Connect

We're not around right now, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

FollowerHike © Copyright 2020

| | |

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?